What's running though my mind comes through in my walk / True feelings are shown by the way that I talk. ~MCA Adam Yauch 1964-2012

Tuesday, August 29, 2006

I am worried about my tomatoes....

Here it is, August 29th, and I still have no ripe tomatoes. This is the first year that this has happened to me. What's boggling my mind is that I started these plants in February on Imbolc because we have such a short growing season up here. While the peppers that I also started that day did very well, the tomatoes ended up very leggy by the time we planted them in the garden Memorial Day weekend, our traditional garden set up time. With this lesson, I know now not to start my seeds until Beltane.

I am growing two heirloom variety tomatoes, Mortgage Lifter and Brandywine, and the plants are at least 6 feet tall. The plants are pretty impressive looking, yet when they first sprouted their first flowers in June, we were dismayed when all the flowers fell off with no fruit left behind. They finally sprouted some more flowers in July and the fruit developed. Problem is, these varieties of tomatoes produce large beefsteak sized fruits. I now have quite a bit of these large green tomatoes on the plants. I fear that it will be too late in the year for them to ripen before it gets cold and the plants start to wither.

Unfortunately, I noticed one of my bigger tomatoes looking like it was rotting from the inside out (see below)....not ripening, rotting. Besides the fact that I started these plants too early, I also wonder if our wet, fairly cool summer had something to do with it. Maybe it was just not warm enough to support the large variety of tomatoes. Hmmmm...(scratching my head).

No comments: