What's running though my mind comes through in my walk / True feelings are shown by the way that I talk. ~MCA Adam Yauch 1964-2012

Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Gamers will 'w00t' over word of the year - Internet- msnbc.com

Gamers will 'w00t' over word of the year - Internet- msnbc.com

I am not sure how I think about this. Having a great fondness for reading and the written word, I don't think I am a big fan of words created by letters and numbers, such as what you see in games and in text messages.

I am getting increasingly frustrated by the shortening of words lately and what gets me is that it is only the last syllable that is dropped....like it is just too hard to say that last syllable....like we are so busy as a society that we simply can't be bothered to finish a word. In case you are wondering what I am yammering on about, just watch a few commercials on the television. Listen to the announcer talk about a low closing cost refi (instead of refinance), Rachel Ray talk about Dunkin Donuts coffee being delish (instead of delicious), or one of many people that talk about their vaca (instead of vacation). It makes me grumble anytime I see or hear it. The great writers (Twain, Whitman, Dickinson) are probably rolling over in their graves every time these words are said.

Maybe I am getting old. I am going to be one of those old women saying "In my day, people finished their words!"

No comments: