What's running though my mind comes through in my walk / True feelings are shown by the way that I talk. ~MCA Adam Yauch 1964-2012

Saturday, April 26, 2008

Watertown Daily Times | Father of special-ed student protests funding cuts

Watertown Daily Times Father of special-ed student protests funding cuts

As a mother of a child with autism that went once went through the special education services of Carthage Central School District, to find that a state audit specifies that students in these programs are "over-classified and over-served" is laughable. I spent the first years of my son's time in the district fighting tooth and nail for every service and accommodation that he needed. Once he hit 7th grade, I decided to homeschool him because he was getting further and further behind.

Now, don't get me wrong. I don't put all the blame on the district. I know they have to keep a budget. This particular school district, as well as a few more in this area, have to continually deal with an ever growing enrollment from the influx of children from military families. I am sure it isn't easy running a school district and making everyone happy, especially in the age of No Child Left Behind, but to cut special eduction services would be a disaster to the special education students of Carthage CSD. Cutting even nine positions will cause problems in delivery of services.

According the the Watertown Daily Times article, the public hearing on the budget is at 7:30 p.m. May 13 in the high school cafeteria (which is on Route 26 in Carthage) and the public vote is May 20. This would be a very important subject to pay attention to.

No comments: