What's running though my mind comes through in my walk / True feelings are shown by the way that I talk. ~MCA Adam Yauch 1964-2012

Saturday, May 24, 2008

Well, I wanted her to get on with her storylines....

The very day after I wrote my post pleading for Karen Montague-Reyes to get past her almost month-long storyline based on her new style animation, she got on with it. No, I don't think for a moment that my post had anything to do with it...I know that it was just good timing and if I had waited another day, I wouldn't have had to say anything.

I went to read Clear Blue Water as part of my check my mail, read the news, read the comics, routine and was a little upset with the strip.


So let me get this straight. Somehow that floppy skin that some of us get when we have kids is not only something to be suicidal about (I know she isn't really serious), but also so hideous as to illicit a visit to the plastic surgeon? What the hell kind of message is this trying to relay? Besides, not just anyone can afford a tummy tuck and why the hell should you have to.


Anyone who reads this strips knows that Eve (the one with long hair) has had 5 kids, the last two a set of twins so maybe her stomach would be a little floppy, but Sophie is only on her first baby....and if I recall correctly, a follow up appointment is at the 6 week mark. Exactly how fast does Ms. Montague-Reyes suggest we take to get out figures back?


Let me tell you all something. I am the mother of two boys, 15 and 11. Even in my best shape, when I was working out on a Bowflex 3 times a week, doing 8 minutes abs religiously, walking, and biking, I still had a floppy tummy....and one with a hellacious case of stretch marks to boot. Do I give a rats ass.....not a bit. Yes, my body has changed since I was 20, but that is what I signed up for when I decided to have kids. I don't live in this illusion that I will stay the same.


Between sentiments like this and the ever increasing line of new moms in Hollywood flashing their 6 week postpartum bodies with the help of personal trainers and plastic surgeons, it's no wonder some new moms (and even some established moms) feel fat, ugly, and lazy. Isn't exactly a boost to the self esteem.


It's just kind of disappointing that a woman who should understand would post such a demeaning message.

No comments: