What's running though my mind comes through in my walk / True feelings are shown by the way that I talk. ~MCA Adam Yauch 1964-2012

Tuesday, October 07, 2008

My experience with a 24 hour fast.....

I thought I would try it. I started around 9pm Sunday night and went to 11pm Monday night. I read an article on NPR that talked of how 24 hour fasts were actually good for the body because it gives the digestive tract a break, resets the pancreas, and regulated sugar levels in the blood. I found that in my 24 hours of not eating that it wasn't really so hard. I had my moments of stomach growling and mental dullness, but on the flip side, I was relatively calm and serene. I didn't feel the ups and down that I usually feel throughout the day. I never got shaky or grumpy. I did get tired though while working my night job (at a pizza place, no less), still didn't feel too hungry as my 24 hours drew to a close. I broke my fast once I got home with a cup of warm milk and toast.

There was only one thing that I experienced that was not pleasant....caffeine withdrawal headache. Since I only took water for 24 hours, I knew it would not be a good idea to take in caffeine so I didn't. I won't lie to you though, this morning I hopped out of bed and made a beeline to the tea canister but horror of horrors, THERE WAS NO BLACK TEA!! My caffeine withdrawal headache started about 10pm last night but I thought once I went to bed it would go away...nope...still had it in the morning! So to not find any black tea in this house was shocking to say the least. Since we have been busy today, I have not had anything except half a cup of green tea (which is what? 20mg of caffeine?) since Sunday at 6pm when I had a luscious cafe mocha at Panera's. (see that? I described a cup of mocha as luscious!!) At this moment, I am pretty much like a junkie looking for a fix and I only drink two cups of tea a day with the occasional coffee from Panera or Borders. I pity the poor bastard that drinks 6 cups of coffee a day that has to go cold turkey.

I feel a coffee run in my immediate future.......


My youngest has asked that I post this caffeine related funny.....

No comments: