What's running though my mind comes through in my walk / True feelings are shown by the way that I talk. ~MCA Adam Yauch 1964-2012

Monday, September 14, 2009

Honey Corn Muffins

I made these muffins last night to go alone with my beef stew and they are fabulous. It is from a book called "The Fitness Kitchen: Recipes for a Fad-Free Lifestyle" by Shelly Sinton, a book I highly recommend if you are looking for nutritious, low fat recipe ideas. I substituted the two large eggs with a container of egg substitute and the 1% milk with skim.

Make 12 muffins.

Wet Ingredients-
In a medium bowl, combine the following:
2 large eggs, lightly beaten
1 cup low-fat 1% milk
1/2 cup low-fat vanilla yogurt
1/3 cup honey

Dry Ingredients-
In a large mixing bowl, combine the following:
1 cup stone-ground yellow or white cornmeal
1 cup all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon chili powder

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Lightly grease a 12 cup muffin pan with nonstick cooking spray or butter. Pour wet ingredients into bowl of dry ingredients and blend until just moist; batter will be slightly lumpy. Evenly divide batter into muffin cups. Bake for 20 minutes or until golden brown. Let cool in pan for 5 minutes. remove muffins from pan and serve warm with jalapeno jelly and a pat of butter.

Each muffin has 123 calories, 4 grams of protein, 2 grams of fiber, and 1.5 grams of fat.

I didn't do the jalapeno jelly, but I did dunk them in the little bit of beef stew I let myself have so my nasty gallbladder didn't attack me. I even had one for breakfast today because they are just sweet enough to be good for breakfast AND with a stew.

In other words...perfect!

No comments: