What's running though my mind comes through in my walk / True feelings are shown by the way that I talk. ~MCA Adam Yauch 1964-2012

Tuesday, November 10, 2009

An Open Letter to Employers......

I have been looking for a full time since May. At first I didn't try too hard, but I kicked up my search in the summer and was hoping to find a new position before my kids went back to public school after 4 years of my homeschooling them. I currently work two part time jobs, but even with the two of them, I do not make 40 hours a week or have many benefits.

In the last 6 months, I have sent out countless resumes and sent enough self nominations to the Army that I have lost count of how many.

Out of all that, I have been to 4 interviews, one of which proceeded to a second interview. In the process of all this I have bought clothes, spent countless hours researching positions, bought the $15 resume paper, motivated myself Stuart Smalley style that I'm Good Enough, I'm Smart Enough, and Doggone It, People Like Me!, spent gas money and even had to not take hours at my second job to get to an interview.

Do you know what I got in return.....nothing. Not a rejection letter, not an email, not a phone call. With all of them, I followed up with a call or an email asking for a status on my application and interview...one of them, I sent to twice.

Now I know some HR people out there are going to say, "Oh we have LOADS of resumes come in...we can't POSSIBLY answer EVERYONE'S inquires!", and I can understand that when it comes to someone just sending in a resume. If I don't hear from someone I sent a resume to, I just assume that my qualifications don't fit theirs, but when I physically am called into an interview, I expect better than the employer acting like I don't exist.

To me, when a business doesn't send some closure after a face-to-face interview, it comes off as cold, calloused, and unprofessional. Ten years ago I had less experience and education, yet I am having a harder time finding a full time job than I ever have had before. It's almost like ANOTHER part time job trying to find a full time job up here, so when I take the time to go for an interview and I can't even get the common courtesy of a rejection letter, quite honestly it pisses me off.

So, to all employers out there...please understand that looking for work is hard in this economy, please don't make it harder by not having some common human decency. It might be hard to put yourself in the shoes of a job seeker seeing as you have a job, but at least try.

Ok...off my soapbox now!!

No comments: