What's running though my mind comes through in my walk / True feelings are shown by the way that I talk. ~MCA Adam Yauch 1964-2012

Friday, September 23, 2011

About Rick Santorum's comments about DADT at the Florida GOP Debate (as well as the audience reaction)

So, first it was applause that during Rick Perry's term as governor of Texas, over 200 people on death row have been executed, then there was the audience member that thought that we should let sick people without insurance die, and now, at the Florida GOP debate, a few thought it appropriate to boo a soldier that asked Rick Santorum about what he would do about the repeal of DADT (which I will address later in the post).  Now, I am not going to say that in all these instances that it reflects the thoughts of all Republicans, Conservatives or Tea Partiers, but it does place a dark cloud over the opinion of the candidates when their audience acts as such.  My question is to those that DO agree with the booers....Is that how it works?  Support the troops.....except if they are gay?

Now to address Santorum.  In response to the soldier's questions about DADT, Santorum said this:

"I would say any type of sexual activity has absolutely no place in the military. The fact they are making a point to include it as a provision within the military that we are going to recognize a group of people and give them a special privilege to, and removing don't ask don’t tell. I think tries to inject social policy into the military. And the military's job is to do one thing: to defend our country..."

Let me clue you in, Mr. Santorum....The repeal of DADT does nothing to include a provision to give gay and lesbian soldiers special privileges.  If fact, with the repeal of DADT it gives ALL soldiers equal treatment.  Let me say that again...with the repeal of DADT, sexual orientation is not even included in the equation because it never should have been there IN THE FIRST PLACE.  In fact, in my opinion, when DADT was in effect, it gave special privileges to straight soldiers because they were ALLOWED to be who they are, they were ALLOWED to be welcomed home by the one they love without reprisal, they were ALLOWED to fall in love with who they wanted to without having to be afraid of losing their job, and they were allowed to be in a relationship and still make a career for themselves in the military.

Santorum stated further that if he was President that he would reinstitute DADT because he believes that "sex is not an issue" and that it should be kept to "yourself whether you are heterosexual or homosexual."  I only agree with Santorum on one point...it should not be an issue if you are heterosexual, homosexual, or bisexual.  I don't believe, however, that you should have to keep it to yourself.  Now, don't get me wrong here because I know where some of you may go.  I'm not advocating ANY couple, straight, gay, or bi to be having sex in public for all to see.  I don't want to see tongue kissing and heavy petting from ANYONE while I am standing in line at the grocery story, but that seems to be what those against gay marriage or gays in the military think.  What did the Family Research Council say?  Oh yeah, right...that with the repeal of DADT that there will be a rise in homosexual behavior and man rapes. Like now that there is no DADT that soldiers are going to be getting in on in their foxholes.  I'm waiting for the next Conservative to say. "What's next...sex with animals?" 

But I digress.....The problem is this...the Republicans MAKE it an issue.  It shouldn't be an issue if a gay couple wants to marry or adopt a child and it shouldn't be an issue if a gay man or woman wants to serve their country.  The fact is, it shouldn't be an issue if the person is gay at all....the issue should be that they are a person, no different than the next, that just wants to live and love freely.  THAT'S what the issue should be.

No comments: