What's running though my mind comes through in my walk / True feelings are shown by the way that I talk. ~MCA Adam Yauch 1964-2012

Friday, September 28, 2012

Dirty Politics (hmm...didn't I say I was done with politics?)

Allen West Uses Opponents Mugshot in New Ad

I try to ignore it.  I really do.  I try not to read the articles on political attacks, but then I just can't help myself.  When I saw this doozy, I was like "are you KIDDING me?"

In a nutshell, Patrick Murphy, the Democratic candidate in Florida's 18th District, was arrested in 2003 when he was a 19 year old college student for "disorderly intoxication and possessing a fake driver's license".  Allen West, the Republican incumbant candidate, part of the Tea Party Caucus, and the very same Allen West that once told Rep. Debbie Wasserman Schultz in an email that she was "the most vile, unprofessional ,and despicable member of the US House of Representatives", decided now was a good time to remind everyone of this in his latest campaign ad, along with Murphy's mugshot.

Ok, now this is when I gets funny.  Not funny ha-ha, but funny as in "something smells funny".  In his ad, West is alluding that on the night Murphy was arrested, West was getting orders to go to war as a member of the Armed Forces.  What West didn't point out as he was playing the Vet Card is that in the same year, in December to be more exact, West was charged by the UMCJ for threatening to kill an Iraqi policemen and firing a gun near his head while he interrogated him.  Interesting how one can try to rewrite one's history.

I am going to go back to a question that I ask myself quite frequently.  Do politicians, Democrat or Republican, that use techiniques such as this, or who try to flip flop on their issues, not realize that many of us read the news and remember what they said and what they did in the past?  I mean, we live in the age of the Internet where nothing just fades away and events haunt like ghosts lurking on the World Wide Web, coming out when you least expect it. 

Also is funny is when a Republican favorite like George W. Bush gets a drunk driving charge at the age of 30, it's called a "youthful indiscretion" but when you are a 19 year old college student getting in a bar fight and later run as a Democrat for Congress, you're a criminal not worthy of the office.

No comments: