What's running though my mind comes through in my walk / True feelings are shown by the way that I talk. ~MCA Adam Yauch 1964-2012

Monday, September 24, 2012

I think I have lost my taste for politics.


One of the things I used to blog about frequently was politics.  I LOVED politics as much as I liked football. I mean it was like sport to me and every election season filled me with as much glee as the Superbowl.  I worked on political campaigns, set up debates and events, and watched the updates at every opportunity.

But then something happened to me.  Sometime around 2011, I lost my faith in politics and the American Political System.  Don't get me wrong, I still support President Obama.  He has done some things I don't completely agree with, but I still believe that his heart is in the right place.  I believe that he is trying his best to run this Country in a climate of uncompromise and downright racism.  I don't think it's fair to call him "the worst President ever" when in fact, he can't get anything done when Congress won't cooperate. So as far as faith goes, I still believe in President Obama.

What I don't believe in is the political climate.  There is no room for compromise.  All I see is finger pointing, personal attacks, and condescension on both sides of the aisle.  Democrats are just as bad as Republicans.  There's a very "my way or the highway" mentality going on and it's the American people who suffer.

So, I am no longer a member of any party.  I am a true independent voter, no party affiliation on my voter card, whatsoever. What I want to see are politicians that actually care for their constituents, politicians that actually listen to what we have to say.  Politicians that care more for what their duties are to the American people they represent than the padding of their pockets and the next dig against their political "enemies".

Maybe I am living in a fantasy world.  I will still vote in November, but I just can't stomach all the fake nonsense of politics.

No comments: