What's running though my mind comes through in my walk / True feelings are shown by the way that I talk. ~MCA Adam Yauch 1964-2012

Friday, September 28, 2012

Real World Experience in Saving Money at the Grocery Store - Bulk Spices

I am all about saving money on my grocery bill. As the only women in a house with three men between the ages of 15 and 47, you can imagine how horrifying a grocery bill can be.

I have been shopping at my local natural foods store, The Mustard Seed, for my bulk organic needs for a few years now, but never thought about hitting their bulk spice counter until today. As we all know, spices at the grocery store can get pretty expensive so I thought I would see if I could save some money as I was completely out of cumin. At my local grocery store, a 1.5 ounce bottle of McCormick ground cumin can cost $4.89. I brought my empty bottle (recycling) and they filled it up. I braced myself for the final cost, as I am used to spices being expensive, and was shocked at the price.

$1.25!!

That's a savings of $3.64!

Looks like from now I will be getting my spices in bulk!!

No comments: