What's running though my mind comes through in my walk / True feelings are shown by the way that I talk. ~MCA Adam Yauch 1964-2012

Tuesday, October 09, 2012

There's a time when you have to say, "I give!"

How I feel when reading about what's healthy and what's not!!

I have been really trying to eat a healthy diet.  I have been researching different thoughts and diet philosophies, such as Forks Over Knives, Engine 2, Sparkpeople, and scores of different articles on how to keep healthy.  The problem I am having is there just doesn't seem to be a consensus with what is good and what is bad for you.  Some say plant-based, some say moderation, some say eggs are good, some say bad. Some say that eating lots of fruits and veggies is healthy, then another says to watch out for Genetically Modified foods.  Another says lean meat and dairy is a healthy part of the diet, then another will talk of anti-biotics, horrifying conditions for animals, and other nastiness.

One thing I have banned from my diet is partially hydrogenated oil because if the level of damage that it does to the heart.  Because of this, my choices of any kind of baked goods or candy bars is limited, but I allowed myself the occasional Kit Kat because 1) I love them and 2) they don't contain partially hydrogenated oil (one of the few candy bars that don't).  Today, I saw a post that Kit Kats contain genetically engineered ingredients.

I'm at a point where I say, "I GIVE!"  Now I am not saying I give up on eating well.  I want to be healthy and habit.  I want to take care of myself and my family, but all this is making the simple act of eating into a chore.  How can you enjoy your food when everyone has picked it apart on every level?

I think I am going to have to take a simpler approach.  I am going to enjoy my food again.  I know I don't like the vegan diet because I tried that, but I also tried South Beach once and didn't like that either.  I feel I need to moderate and stick to the simple, whole foods that I am used to and stay away from processed foods.  Baking and cooking from scratch will keep all that at bay.

It's just how I have to do this, otherwise I could drive myself crazy with all the information out there!

No comments: