What's running though my mind comes through in my walk / True feelings are shown by the way that I talk. ~MCA Adam Yauch 1964-2012

Friday, October 26, 2012

"Wild: From Lost to Found on the Pacific Coast Trail"

I just finished "Wild: From Lost to Found on the Pacific Coast Trail" by Cheryl Strayed last night and I am so glad that I read this book.  I first heard about it on Super Soul Sunday and was compelled about Cheryl Strayed's account of when she hiked the Pacific Coast Trail by herself in 1995 at the age of 25.  She talks of how she came to be there, how the journey was to help her grow from the life she was living and how she tried to heal from the death of her mother.

Nothing I write here could do this book justice.  All I can do is highly recommend that you read it.  I was enthralled by her story, of the level of courage it took for her to not only make a 1,100 mile hike in the wild of the PCT by herself, but to be able to face her past, her pain, and her mistakes.  I rooted for her most of the time, rolled my eyes over some of her obvious mistakes when it came to hiking, but mostly I understood where she was coming from, having had great loss early in my life myself.  I also know the therapeutic nature of going out in the woods to clear your mind and center.

If you need a story to motivate and inspire you, this book is it!

No comments: