What's running though my mind comes through in my walk / True feelings are shown by the way that I talk. ~MCA Adam Yauch 1964-2012

Saturday, November 24, 2012

On weight loss and how people view themselves.

I notice a trend in many of the weight loss commercials and stories out there. It usually involves a person being delightfully happy that they have finally lost the weight that burdened them. They feel free, they feel light, and they feel empowered. It's a great place to be when one sets a goal and works hard to get it. Why, though, do so many of these stories add a part where they talk about what a loser they were when they were overweight? Yes, I get it...I have been slightly overweight my whole life and it wasn't until I made the lifestyle change to exercise more and eat more whole foods that I started to get it under control and yes, I did go through a phase of self-loathing because of my weight until I realized that overweight or thin, I was an on-going work in progress. I guess what I am saying is that I believe you set yourself up for failure if you think that all your life's ills will be magically fixed by weight loss. I also believe that if you see your overweight self as a loser, you missed the point of the journey. What one is and where one is at a particular point in their life's journey is precisely where one needs to be for lessons learned and experiences lived. I am not a different person because I lost 15 pound with 15 more to go. If I am a different person it's because I grew and evolved out of any bad habits I had. I will continue to be as different 10 years from now as I was 10 years ago. I will continue to evolve as a person long after the weight it gone. We are all an on-going work in progress.

No comments: