What's running though my mind comes through in my walk / True feelings are shown by the way that I talk. ~MCA Adam Yauch 1964-2012

Tuesday, December 04, 2012

Adam Yauch - Teacher, Bodhisattva

In the seven months since Adam Yauch has been gone, I have learned more about life and enlightenment than I ever had in my life before. I had been searching for the proverbial meaning of life. Went to different churches, read a variety of books, you name it, never finding the answers.

Then, on May 4, 2012, I heard that Adam Yauch died. I’m not going to pretend that I was a Beasties Super fan before that day. I had let life get in the way of my paying attention to all the magic that these boys had to offer, but I do remember that everytime they came out with something new or when Saboage came on the radio, I would lose my shit! I remember how they came out with “In a World Gone Mad” just when I wondered if anyone was going to speak out about the War. And I remember that out of the three, it was MCA’s voice that I loved to hear and watching him on film was like being hypnotized.

I was so far out of the loop that I didn’t even know he was sick, but when I found out that he died, I called my boyfriend from work to say, “I’m so sad….Adam Yauch died!” So even though I wasn’t paying attention before, I knew the loss was great.

In the seven months since Adam left us, I have caught up on what I missed and through that, I have learned so much in how a person can evolve, how to be more compassionate, how to make a vow to help others yet not lose myself, learn to be a sentient being, how to be a grownup, yet not be….and still be a badass in the process. I was taught lessons in how to live and die with grace and dignity and how you can start off one way and journey to a whole other level.

Today I started my day with mediatation, then the “Bodhisattva Vow” and “I Don’t Know”…it all seems to fit, doesn’t it? You have taught me so much, MCA….my teacher, my bodhisattva.

No comments: